The last few weeks have seen considerable progress on the project. Amongst the many tasks that we have been working on we have selected a project name (see blog post: finding an application name), we have finished processing all of the maps and have them imported into Geoserver, we have complete the digital capture of bomb location from both the weekly maps and aggregate map sheets and we are developing our brand identity and communication plan.
We have been working diligently on the development of the web and mobile app. Progress is going well and we are planning our second round of user testing at The National Archives this Friday Nov 9th between 12 and 4pm. Our first round of testing two Staurday’s ago was positive and we identified some issues that have been resolved (I will write a separate blog post discussing the user testing).
Currently the apps are without their stylish front-end as this is currently being designed and implemented. What we will be testing is the functionality and meaning of the buttons and text as well as evaluating how intuitive the tools are to use. We have also designed a set of icons for the different data we are clustering together and we will evaluate if their inherent meaning can be understood.
For a sneak preview of the apps we have created a short video – I used the freely available Microsoft Movie Maker together with lot of screen shots, that I linked together using transitions. For the music I browsed the open source catalogue available via Jamendo. This is my first attempt at creating a video, so it is not too long but hopefully gives you a taste of what we are developing.
I have embedded the video in this blog post, but the project has also set up a You Tube channel where we will be posting more updates and project information. The channel is called BombSightUK.